In the 1920’s several immigrant Ukrainian families of the Greco-Catholic Faith (Orthodox Christians in communion with Rome) settled in the east end of Toronto and began to slowly coalesce into a small community. In 1927, a Heritage School was established for their children. They met socially and congregated for worship at various locations, depending on the availability of a priest.
In 1937, with the purchase of a church building on King Street, a small but definite community of eight Ukrainian Greco-Catholic faithful was established, under the name “Sacred Heart Parish.” Beginning with the feast of Holy Pascha, the faithful gathered every Sunday at the new site to celebrate the Most Holy Eucharist.
The parish received canonical approval in 1938 by Most Rev. Kyr Ladyka, Bishop of Winnipeg. In 1948, the parish became part of the newly formed Eparchy of Toronto, under the pastoral care of the Bishop of Toronto and Eastern Canada, Kyr Isidore Borecky. The name of the parish was officially changed to “Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church.”
515 Broadview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, M4K 2N6
Church Hall: 416-461-1387
Saturday Evening Vespers, 7:00 pm – Bilingual
Sunday Morning Matins, 8:30 am – Bilingual
Sunday Divine Liturgy, 9:30 am (Ukrainian) & 11:30am (English)