Established in 1899, St. Nicholas Church became the first Ukrainian Catholic parish in Winnipeg. Since 1904, the parish has been under the direction of the Basilian Order of St. Josaphat.
737 Bannerman Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R2X 1J9
Sunday Divine Liturgy:
09:00 am – Ukrainian
12:00 pm – English
Towards the close of 1899, some 150 devoted Ukrainian Catholic immigrants worked together with Father John Damascene Polywka, OSBM, to purchase land and to build the first St. Nicholas Church at the corner of McGregor Street and Stella Avenue. Roman Catholic Archbishop Adélard Langevin extended a loan of $18,000 in 1904 for the construction of a larger church on McGregor Street opposite the first church.
The number of parishioners continued to increase steadily. By 1944, preliminary plans for a third St. Nicholas Church were initiated by Father Joseph Senkiw, OSBM. Later in 1948, after an underground auditorium was completed and in use, construction was permanently halted owing to the church’s close proximity to the Cathedral of Sts. Vladimir and Olga.
In 1961, Archbishop-Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk, CSsR, granted the Basilian Fathers permission to purchase land at the corner of Arlington Street and Bannerman Avenue. On the morning of July 10, 1966, Divine Liturgies were celebrated for the last time in the old church. In the afternoon, the solemn blessing of the present church took place. Later that year, the monastery-residence attached to the church was blessed. It serves as a parish office, residence for the pastor and other clergy and as headquarters for the Order of St. Basil the Great in Canada.